Atlanta Braves wait to play as MLB and MLBPA bicker
Atlanta Braves players, and most Major League players want a season, but the latest MLB proposal received the cold shoulder from the MLBPA.
The contest between Tony Clark and the best-paid players and MLB continued this morning when ESPN’s Karl Ravech reported (Twitter link) a new MLB pay proposal to the MLBPA. According to Ravech, MLB’s new proposal looks like this.
- 75 percent of the previously agree prorated salary over a 76 game season.
- 75 percent of playoff pool money as opposed to the way the CBA outlines it now.
- Teams signing a free agent won’t lose a draft pick this offseason.
- The season finishes September 27
- Postseason ends at the end of October.
Evan Drellich tweeted that for the players to receive 75 percent of the pro-rata pay agreed, a postseason must take place.
Jon Heyman reported (Twitter link) a proposed start date of July 10 instead of July 4, to reduce costs for teams. In a later tweet, he said the offer amounts to a 25 percent reduction from the March agreement instead of the 40 percent in the immediately rejected sliding-scale proposal.
Mike Axisa tweeted there’s nothing new in the proposal; he calculates all of them at a 33% reduction from the March agreement that MLB says they cased on having fans in attendance.
Joel Sherman tweets that the postseason would involve 16 teams, playing three-game series in the elimination rounds.
And, of course, the MLBPA rejected the offer out-of-hand, said it’s not enough and called the proposal a step backward.