In perhaps a prophetic message, the rare rainfall in San Diego ended early today as the Atlanta Braves mostly watched market grow out of control around them.
The first full day of the Winter Meetings is generally where teams are still getting people settled in and organized. That seems to have been the case with the Atlanta Braves, but others clearly came to start dealing immediately.
The actual news of the days was akin to some of atomic proportions: that Stephen Strasburg has re-upped with the Nationals for the next seven seasons for a total cost that’s at least $245 million… that’s $35 million per year for those of you who didn’t realize there would be math involved in this run-down.
But wait… there’s more…
I’m with Dave O’Brien on this… after a contract that sets pitcher records in both Average Annual Value and total value (at least until later this week), why are incentives even necessary? To keep him interested?
Crazy stuff… but here’s the fallout that we should expect over the next week or so:
- Gerrit Cole is going to be even richer, thanks to either the Yankees (probably) or Angels. The industry estimates now range in the $36-40m annual rate and – since he’s younger than Strasburg – term lengths of 8-9 years. $300+ million is looking likely.
- Madison Bumgarner wants to be slotted in the 3rd position among free agent pitchers this Fall. This tweet came before announcement of the Strasburg agreement.
Beyond this, the haven’t been many other actual signings… Adam Jones appears to be heading to Japan, left-handed reliever Alex Claudio is going back to Milwaukee, there were a couple of waiver claims (Brewers, Orioles, and Rockies), and the Rangers signed Joely Rodriguez (who is coming back from Japan) for 2 years and $5.5 million.
IN BASEBALL NEWS…
- The (Rule 4 “regular”) Draft is moving to Omaha, Nebraska… site of the College World Series.
- Marijuana is about to become allowable for minor leaguers… a negotiated point as part of an bigger Opioids topic being discussed between MLB and the Players’ Union.
- Honestly, I’d rather see this stay on the banned list for active players, but in certain states now, it would definitely be possible for a player to inadvertently be around someone else using marijuana and thus end up with a positive drug test.