Winter Meetings Live Thread: All Transactions, Atlanta Braves Perspective
1 of 4
Sep 25, 2015; Cincinnati, OH, USA; Cincinnati Reds relief pitcherAroldis Chapman
throws against the New York Mets in the ninth inning at Great American Ball Park. The Mets won 12-5. Mandatory Credit: David Kohl-USA TODAY Sports
2015 Baseball Winter Meetings – Transactions, Rumors List
MONDAY MORNING – Braves angles/news highlighted in Blue
- Dodgers are said to be “in” on Ben Zobrist. Braves reported to be at least 4th behind them, the Nationals and Mets… and essentially eliminated from consideration. Prefers East Coast contender (lives near Nashville). Earlier post indicates the Cubs are interested, if they can move Starlin Castro.
- Rosenthal (who is on a roll this morning) reports that Rockies are “open-minded” on trading their outfielders.
- Dodgers discussing Miami’s Jose Fernandez; Ken Rosenthal suggests that their new skipper Don Mattingly might value the Dodger’s farm differently from the viewpoint of the LA front office.
- Joakim Soria “close” to signing with Royals… Jon Morosi and Jerry Crasnick have this as 3 years, $25m.
- >>> Aroldis Chapman has been traded to the Dodgers for two prospects. [unnamed at this point]
- MAYBE NOT: See 3:00pm update on next page; big update on last page.
- There is an MLB committee whose role was to assess “pre-integration era” players for inclusion into the Hall of Fame. The decision for 2016 was just announced… zippo. Apparently none were deemed worthy; 10 were on their ballot.
- BaseballAmerica took a moment to look at the current 2016 draft order… which is still subject to considerable change, given the number of unsigned QO free agents still out there. Atlanta is getting picks #3, #32, and #41 at this point. Pick 32 comes from the Marlins in that Peraza/Wood/Olivera trade. It can go higher as free agents are signed, but cannot go lower. #41 could go down (if protected-pick teams sign qualified free agents), but can’t go any higher (since Compensation picks will be inserted).
- Chris Cotillo suggests that Cubs/Rays match up well for Javier Baez trade with relievers in the mix (Boxberger, McGee) from the Rays’ side. Not a starter, as I had guessed earlier. Frankly makes me wonder why the Braves are not making a similar offer here.
- Tigers kicking tires on either Alex Gordon or Yoenis Cespedes.
- Rosenthal: Padres getting a lot of calls about their starters: Ross, Cashner, and even James Shields (has an opt-out that will impact any deal for him). Cites high free agent prices as a reason they are in play; you might also say that the high price for Shelby Miller is also a factor.
- Rosenthal: Cardinals and Giants (+others) are in on Mike Leake. He’d rather go to Arizona (where he lives), but DBacks are apparently thinking back-of-rotation starter… price will matter (after Greinke). Would that include Teheran?
- Rangers talking with Red Sox about Joe Kelly… “very interested”. Boston Globe’s Nick Cafardo also says that Royals are interested in Boston starters other than Price (duh) or Porcello.
Jose Peraza‘s name has popped up (re: Aroldis Chapman trade). Not confirmed, but Jon Heyman says that this would certainly bump talk about moving Brandon Phillips… and his no-trade rights?
- Jerry Casnick reports that LHRP Tony Sipp is looking for something in the $5-6mm x3 year deal. One of the better lefty bullpen arms available.
- Really? MLBTR says Trevor Cahill is close to a deal with… an unknown team. Thanks for that. At least Chris Cotillo mentions that the Pirates and others had had interest in him. That’s something, I guess.
- Braves still pursuing Tyler Flowers to share time with A.J. Pierzynski behind the plate (Mark Bowman). That would suggest no interest in prying Miguel Montero from the Cubs as I thought could be possible earlier today.
- Rosenthal is back: Mariners inquiring about Red Sox pitching depth (Buchholz or Miley).
- So far, there is quite a bit of starting pitcher trade smoke… but none of it involves Braves’ pitchers.
- Observation from Jayson Stark that while Nationals have missed out on Chapman, O’Day and Kimbrel, they are still stuck with Papelbon and Storen. They have a potential train wreck brewing… and that’s “Wreck” spelled with a curly W.
- Royals still want Alex Gordon back, but looking at Gerardo Parra as a fallback option (Jon Morosi).
- Trevor Cahill back to the Cubs (Buster Olney). That now sounds an awful lot like the Cubs and Braves will not get together this week… on anything. 1 year, $4.25m deal (Olney again).
Next: Sorry! Too much for 1 page... Afternoon Next